8 Aug 2022
Speakers will outline critical steps needed to achieve health equity
SAN DIEGO, Aug. 8, 2022 /PRNewswire/ -- Illumina, Inc. (NASDAQ: ILMN), a global leader in DNA sequencing and array-based technologies, today announced that on September 30, its Illumina Genomics Forum (IGF) will feature Bill Gates, co-chair of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, who will deliver a keynote address on the remarkable potential of genomics to change the trajectory of global health. In addition, IGF will host a panel session titled "Making 'Genomics for All' More than a Mantra," on the requirements needed to ensure broader access to genomic health.
"Genomics should be available to the many, not the few, and even though the genomic health era has already led to breakthrough discoveries that are advancing medical care, the benefits have not yet had a true global impact," said Kathryne Reeves, chief marketing officer for Illumina. "Through sessions led by Bill Gates and expert panelists, Illumina Genomics Forum will help attendees see and understand the path toward global health equity."
The "Genomics for All" panel includes representatives driving increased access to genomic health, including:
- Andrew Farnum, chief executive officer, Variant Bio
- Keolu Fox, assistant professor, University of California – San Diego
- Naomi Nkinsi, MD, MPH dual degree student, University of Washington
- Dr. Byron Scott, quality and health equity advisor
- Alicia Zhou, chief science officer, Color
Illumina previously announced that former U.S. President Barack Obama will headline the inaugural forum in a fireside chat on the evening of Wednesday, September 28. Twelve years after the passage of the Affordable Care Act, Obama will discuss the continued need for equity, accessibility, and smarter healthcare to improve the human condition. Additional speakers, panels, and details about the event agenda will continue to be released in the coming weeks.
Other IGF key themes include:
- How genomic technology is driving more informed, proactive, and personalized patient diagnosis and treatment in clinics.
- Ways in which whole-genome sequencing is revolutionizing patient care
- The role of genomics in supporting healthcare's quadruple aim to improve population health, reduce costs, enhance the patient experience, and improve provider satisfaction
IGF will take place in San Diego from September 28 through October 1. For more information and to register for the conference, go to illuminagenomicsforum.com.
Illumina is improving human health by unlocking the power of the genome. Our focus on innovation has established us as a global leader in DNA sequencing and array-based technologies, serving customers in the research, clinical and applied markets. Our products are used for applications in the life sciences, oncology, reproductive health, agriculture and other emerging segments. To learn more, visit illumina.com and connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, and YouTube.
View original content to download multimedia:https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/illumina-genomics-forum-to-feature-bill-gates-and-distinguished-health-leaders-addressing-need-for-global-access-to-genomics-301601366.html
SOURCE Illumina, Inc.